"Among some talk of you and me...": Sometimes I read Tolstoy

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Sometimes I read Tolstoy

Not the one people brag about, though. In high school I read Anna Karenina in one day for an ISP. It is a large book, not meant to be read in one day. I'll admit it was more of an indepth skimming than a reading, because I had a million other assignments and readings to do, and just needed to get it done.

I've read it many times since. And today I was looking through some of my old files and found a QUOTES page. (Which is strange, because at the time it was created I should have already have been told that it's QUOTATIONS, not QUOTES.) I used many of these quotations as headers for creative writing back in the day.

One quotation was from the above mentioned book, though I don't remember it from the book: "Hypocrisy in anything whatever may deceive the cleverest and most penetrating man, but the least wide-awake of children recognizes it, and is revolted by it, however ingeniously it may be disguised."

Good word, Leo. Good word.

Another equally good word recorded in the file was from Brooke Shields: "Smoking kills, and if you're killed, you've lost a very important part of your life."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home