"Among some talk of you and me...": So I've been thinking a lot recently...

Thursday, January 08, 2009

So I've been thinking a lot recently...

...about the principle of living what you believe (and the converse reasoning of "if you're not living it, you don't really believe it"). And as such I have been considering what it means to live humanely.

I am planning to take the online MOGO ("Most Good") seminar from humaneeducation.org in the month of February (http://www.humaneeducation.org/sections/view/mogo), and I'm really excited about it. I can't think of anything more God-honouring than living a life that embodies my values (which are Christian values), and I know it's time to step up.

It says in James that "if you know the good and don't do it, you sin." In other words, you are held accountable for what you know. And I have chosen to be a learner, which means that I am going to be held accountable for a lot. But I like a challenge, and I like to feel challenged the way I have recently. So I'm looking forward to finding the tools to live what I believe not just about God, but about my responsibility as a child of God towards my own self, my physical neighbour, my global neighbour, animals and the earth.

I believe that I am called to lead others in "the Way" as I follow Christ, but I must first follow, so for the next season I plan to focus on following instead of leading.

Step one for me is a decision to explore the vegan lifestyle. I can't say that I believe animal cruelty is wrong and be an advocate for companion animals but not other animals. I don't have a problem with eating meat or eggs or using animals for clothing etc., but I DO have a problem with what these industries have been built into and the way they treat the animals. I have also been studying the terrible effects that meat and poultry and dairy have on our health because of the way the animals are doped up to over-produce.

It will be an easy switch for me --- I'm one of those people that eats pretty much the same thing every day and never gets bored of it. There are only a few things I would need to cut out and lots of things I can add it. For example, today I put tofu in my pasta sauce, and it rocked! I'm looking forward to meeting with my doctor in February and getting an appointment with a nutritionist to make sure that I'm getting what I need. I'm looking forward to helping my body heal itself through my choices. I'm looking forward to being able to say with all integrity that my lifestyle reflects my belief that cruelty to animals is a reflection of a heart not surrendered to God, and as an act of worship I will not be a part of it.

So yeah. I've been thinking a lot recently.

2 Comments:

Blogger MRC said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:15 a.m.

 
Blogger MRC said...

Hi Renata...how are you lately?
Odd question for you...what was the name of the song/artist you sang around our graduation time. It has something to do with seasons I think...if you could help me out I'd appreciate it.
Mere

11:15 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home