"Among some talk of you and me...": Addendum to "Of Rice and Men"

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Addendum to "Of Rice and Men"

To answer Hannie's question (and the concerns of Jilly-Face):

We added in fruits (which we can munch on between meals) and vegetables (which we only use WITH the rice) to make this something that isn't so dangerous and allow this to be something that we can do long term. I also drink a small glass of skim milk every day and we both take a multi-vitamin. This wasn't meant to be an exercise in understanding starvation (I don't believe that hurting our bodies in that way serves a grand enough purpose that it would balance the ill effects)--- it was only meant to be something to make us more mindful of the plight of others, and free up some resources to HELP others.

We could probably get enough calories from rice to not die (since we've said we can eat as much as we want), but because we are both exercising as well (Paul to lose weight, and myself on doctor's orders to lower my ridiculously high cholesterol), well, we're trying to find the SAFE way to do this.

This is only week one. I imagine that if it continues much longer, which I believe Paul will want it to and I do as well, it will morph many times. We've already agreed that if we do stop down the road, we're going to take one day a week and have JUST rice, to remind ourselves every week.

My hope is that this exercise, beyond what it is already doing, will help both Paul and I be more mindful of what our bodies NEED versus what they WANT. I'm terrible at giving in to Paul with the frozen pizzas and the chili and the snacks that not only are bad for us, but are an incredible waste of money that could be invested in helping others.

Anyway, I'm rambling. (Rice-brain, probably.) This is only the beginning of the journey; I'm sure I'll have more to report in the future.

PS - The other day we were shopping and Paul was looking at coffee. He turned to me and said something to the effect of "We should look for fair-trade coffee." I didn't say much in that moment, but "my heart was strangely warmed".

3 Comments:

Blogger Heather Ann said...

I (sort of) see what you're trying to do, but I'm still concerned that you're going to end up wrecking your health. You can't live on calories alone, you know?

You're mammals, so you require fat in your diet. From Wikipedia: "Fats play a vital role in maintaining healthy skin and hair, insulating body organs against shock, maintaining body temperature, and promoting healthy cell function." Maybe consider a switch to a whole glass of 2% milk?

10:49 a.m.

 
Blogger Dena said...

Hey there-haven't read your blog in a while, but what a great time to pick up again! I SUPER applaud your actions. In whatever form they take, you are seriously making changes to try to understand food shortages and what comes with that. And any money you do save is great that you are giving it. If, in the end, you make permanent changes like no more processed foods, which tend to be expensive, you can still give the extra grocery money. I think it's great! I am going through a similar thing as well, wanting to make many food changes for health, environmental, and world hunger reasons, but Elliott is coming along less than willingly. But, as I jokingly put it today-he is the head of the household but I am the head of the kitchen. So he pretty much has to eat what I fix.

Great job, guys! Keep it up, and yes, stay healthy while doing it. Standing ovation from me!

2:41 p.m.

 
Blogger theajthomas said...

As for the needing fat thing - I was a vegetarian for about 2 and a half years and besides a little skim milk on my cereal and a bit of cheese or yogurt here and there I never noticed any issues related to significantly lower fat (or protein) intake. Of course I was bringing a fair amount of my own fat to the party...

I would think if your cholesterol is an issue than and super low fat diet might be a good thing (of course you aren't bringing any fat to the party so...

Maybe we could work out a trade of some sort. Earlier this year I was on Dr's orders to raise my cholesterol - it's virtually non-existent. Quit laughing, I'm serious.

9:05 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home